Monday, February 13, 2012

Granola I Can Eat!

TheePirateWrench shared her candida friendly granola recipe and I made a batch yesterday afternoon.
It went like this:

• 4 cups rolled oats
• 1/2 cup organic virgin coconut oil
• 1 tsp. alcohol-free vanilla extract
• Desired spices/salt (I put in a few good dashes of cloves, about five good dashes of cinnamon, and one dash of sea salt)
• Stevia to taste (I put in two really good dashes)
• 1 cup of nuts (I used 1/2 cup chopped almonds & 1/2 cup sunflower seeds)

Mix everything except the nuts in a bowl. Transfer mixture to a 9x13 baking dish, and bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Stir in nuts, and bake for another 15 minutes. Allow to cool, then transfer to an air-tight container.


I picked up the ingredients at WF and cut the recipe in half since it was a first try. For nute I went with sliced almonds and chopped walnuts.  We did have some nuts added back to the diet this week since he and I both were struggling with protein.  Also, we were given the green light on greek yogurt, which is AWESOME.

The granola turned out well.  You can taste the Stevia, but it's something I think we're both going to have to get used to.  I've been using Truvia, which has a much more sugar like taste and texture, but it's only part Stevia and part fruit-derived sweetener, which is a no for now.  We just did cinnamon and nutmeg, no cloves. I was very pleasantly surprised. It's not the same as my beloved sugar-laden store bought granola, but this will suffice.  I think using maple syrup would be a good sweetener.  Also, it will be perfect when we have fruit back.

Definitely a win for long-term solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment